Rosario S. writes: “These humble letters are to thank you from my heart as I am grateful to you for all the help you give us. I’m 70 years old, I live alone, my only income is from selling cigars in the streets. May God bless and protect you.”
From Bertha G.: “I give thanks to all the people who make possible all the attention and donations that are great blessings. May God reward you and multiply your generous deeds, same to the sisters at Casa de los Pobres for making possible that all these things get to us.”
Million Meal Event Returning in June
More than 3,000 people of all ages packed 1 million meals during a fun weekend last summer. We delivered them to impoverished families just across the border. We have set our sights this year on packing 1.5 million meals on June 10 and 11, and raising $375,000 to pay for the ingredients. The event is at Cathedral Catholic High School, Del Mar Heights Road, Del Mar, CA.
We need your hands and hearts once more! Please register today to help pack meals and/or donate. Parishes, ministries, groups, families, and individuals are all welcome.
Casa’s Special Needs This Month
Special Requests from Sister Armida this month:
- New mens’ socks
- Bar soap
- Peanut butter, tuna fish, canned evaporated milk, oatmeal, pastas (macaroni, spaghetti), canned corn and vegetables, Spam
We have a new drop-off location for in-kind donations:
- Brigid’s Parish Office, 4735 Cass Street, San Diego, CA 92109, Monday-Friday, 8 am –4:00pm.
- If possible, please put your donations in white plastic bags marked “Casa.”
We gladly accept:
- Canned, dried, and boxed food items (unexpired)
- Beans, rice (in packages of 10 or 20 pounds)
- Blankets, sleeping bags, tarps
- Hygienic and cleaning supplies
- New sheets and towels
- New clothes, socks, shoes (sorry, we cannot accept used items)
- Medicines and vitamins (e.g., Tylenol, cough medicine, children’s cold medicine, multivitamins — unexpired)
Sorry, we cannot accept any used clothing or shoes, any electrical items or building materials, as we are not allowed to take them across the border.
The Casa de los Pobres USA continues to move forward with your help
Thank you for your continued support of the Casa de Los Pobres! We have been so blessed for the past 40 years to have the incredible dedication of Pat Erzinger, who has worked tirelessly on behalf of the Casa. She, along with Jacklyn Horton, have recently retired, and we would like to extend our tremendous gratitude for all they have done.
We have a new Board of Directors for the non-profit group, that hopes to send the monthly newsletter via email in the future to save money. If you would like to receive the newsletter via email, please email us at CasadelosPobresUSA@gmail.com.
Your monetary donations can continue to be safely made in three ways:
- Online on the website CasadelosPobresUSA.com
- By check payable to “Casa de los Pobres USA” mailed to: Casa de los Pobres USA, PO Box 9596, San Diego, CA 92169
- Stocks can be accepted through Wells Fargo Advisors
Thank you for continuing to help the “poorest of the poor” at the Casa!
FEBRUARY 2023 REPORT
- 19,120 people received a meal
- 660 general medical clinic appointments, specialist consultations, prescriptions filled
- 1,790 bags of groceries given
- 450 people personally attended in Social Service (includes people who received blankets, hygiene supplies, shoes, and clothing)
- 4 trips were made to deliver food, blankets, clothes, and tarps to far-away neighborhoods
- 33 scholarship aids were given
Our prayers for many Lenten graces to you and your family.